Your insurance plan may provide benefits for weight loss surgery. Every insurance company has its own set of policies and criteria for bariatric surgery coverage and most plans are very employer-specific.
To have our patient coordinator verify your insurance benefits for weight loss surgery and office visits, please fill out our online Insurance Verification form or print a paper form and return it to our office.
We also recommend that you contact your insurance company to verify your benefits as well. It is important to read your policy carefully and work closely with your insurance company and our office to ensure that bariatric surgery is, in fact, a covered benefit under your plan.
Make sure to get this information when you call your insurance company:
- Name of the person you spoke with
- Date and time of your call
- List of procedures that are covered (i.e. sleeve gastrectomy, duodenal switch, adjustable gastric band, etc.)
- Criteria that must be met in order to achieve coverage for bariatric surgery (see below)
Insurance company criteria for weight loss surgery may include, but is not limited to:
- Current weight is 100 lbs. over the ideal body weight
- BMI (body mass index) of 40 or above
- BMI between 35 and 39.9 with co-morbidities like hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, cardiovascular disease, etc.
- Documentation of prior unsuccessful weight loss attempts
- Physician-supervised diet program for anywhere between 1 - 6 months
- Psychological evaluation
- Smoking cessation
- 2-5 years of weight history (one record per year)
The Center for Weight Loss Surgery and Dr. Srikanth are contracted with the following insurance companies:
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Coventry/First Health
- First Choice Health Network
- Premera Blue Cross
At this time we have opted out of participation in Medicare and Medicaid.